Oct. 31, 2013
Third AIAA Workshop on Benchmark Problems for Airframe Noise Computations
(BANC – III)
Sponsored by the Aeroacoustics and Fluid Dynamics Technical Committees, the BANC-III workshop will address the computations of unsteady flow and noise radiation for a select set of airframe noise configurations for which experimental data is already available and, in some cases, additional data is expected to be available in the near future. The BANC-III Workshop will build upon the BANC-I and BANC-II Workshops in 2010 and 2012, respectively, to enable a more definitive assessment of the state-of-the-art in the computations and measurements of airframe noise and, in particular, will include a stronger collaborative element from the outset.
Objectives of the BANC-III workshop are to:
1. Provide a forum for a thorough assessment of simulation-based noise-prediction tools in the context of airframe configurations including both near-field unsteady flow and the acoustic radiation generated via the interaction of this flow with solid surfaces.
2. Identify current gaps in physical understanding, experimental databases, and prediction capability for the major sources of airframe noise.
3. Help determine best practices, and accelerate the development of benchmark quality datasets.
4. Promote future coordinated studies of common configurations for maximum impact on the current state of the art in the understanding and prediction of airframe noise.
It is envisioned that all eight problem categories from the BANC-II Workshop will continue to be of interest to the airframe noise (AFN) community in the foreseeable future. However, in light of the progress achieved in categories 2 (Unsteady Wake Interference between Tandem Cylinders) and 3 (Rudimentary Landing Gear), the BANC-III Workshop will focus exclusively on categories 1,4,5,6,7, and 8 from the BANC-II Workshop:
The workshop configurations reflect a compromise based on several criteria, including:
The workshop will be held on June 14-15, 2013, immediately prior to the 20th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference in Atlanta, USA. Even though the workshop includes the combined consideration of unsteady flow near airframe components and the resulting acoustic radiation, joint contributions based on complementary capabilities are also encouraged. As noted above, the BANC-III Workshop also includes a separate category dedicated to the acoustic propagation phase of the airframe noise prediction process. Descriptions of problem statements are available from the respective folders that may be accessed by following the links provided on webpage for the BANC-II Workshop:
Those with an interest in participating in the workshop must submit a Notice of Interest in the BANC-III workshop by submitting their contact information via the online form at:
This would enable their names to be included in the mailing list for crucial information about the workshop. They should also register for the workshop at the AIAA website using the registration form for the Aeroacoustics Conference. There will be a separate registration fee for the workshop component. Workshop related queries should be directed to: Meelan Choudhari (Meelan.M.Choudhari@nasa.gov)
Problem category leads for the BANC-III Workshop are listed below. The category titles are also linked to the corresponding folder containing the problem statement and other relevant information for that particular category. Please contact the category leads for further information related to a category of interest.
8. Acoustic Propagation Phase of Airframe Noise Prediction: Leonard Lopes (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tomoaki Ikeda (email@example.com), Taro Imamura (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Stephane Redonnet (Stephane.Redonnet@onera.fr)